Adjusting to dentures can be difficult, and you may find that both time and some small lifestyle changes are needed when you begin wearing your dentures. Our dentist and team are here to help you adjust to wearing dentures in Greensboro, North Carolina, so that you can once again enjoy a natural-looking smile and full oral function. Feel free to give us a call at 336-272-4177 if you have any questions or to schedule an appointment with Dr. David Civils.
Changes to Your Oral Hygiene Routine
After receiving dentures you will need to make some changes to your dental hygiene. This will include practicing speaking with your dentures during your adjustment period as well as cleaning them regularly. You will still need to take care of your gums to keep them healthy, and our dentist will examine your mouth as well as your dentures during your regular dental exams to check your oral health and ensure that your dentures are working properly.
Different Types of Dentures
There are several different types of dentures that you could receive based on your oral health and individual preferences. Our dentist will review all your options with you and will work closely with you throughout the denture creation process to ensure that your dentures fit your mouth and smile perfectly. Common types of dentures include:
- Conventional complete dentures — These replace an entire row of teeth and are removable. They are the most common type of dentures used.
- Conventional partial dentures — These are recommended when only a few teeth are missing.
- Implant-supported dentures — These dentures are anchored to dental implants to provide a highly secure fit. They are not removable.
Benefits of Dentures
Dentures have many benefits, including:
- They look great and function like regular teeth.
- You can eat all your favorite foods — while you may need to start out with softer foods, as soon as you adjust, you can return to your regular eating habits.
- Dentures prevent the “sagging” appearance caused by missing teeth to give you a more youthful look.
Take Time to Adjust
Remember, adjusting to life with dentures can take time. Dr. Civils and our team will review all the necessary steps for denture care with you and what you can expect during your adjustment process. We are confident that your dentures will be a perfect fit and help you enjoy all the benefits of a confident smile. We are always here to help you and encourage you to call us any time if you have questions.